Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Perception and math quizzes


I wanted to share with you all my most recent quiz score from the math class I am taking this summer. It may not seem much of an accomplishment to most, but to me it is a miracle!! :) (I have ALWAYS struggled in math: with anything analytical, really) It is times like these that I am reminded that I am nothing on my own: I have YEARS of proof of this in math. :) I know I have said this numerous times, but it is true that the Spirit can help you understand the truth of ALL things. Truth is always truth no matter how many times you repeat it. :)


What I am trying to say is that I am human and struggle in my weakness, and that with God's help ALL things are possible. We also have been blessed with 'daily life experiences' that help us learn and remember who we depend on and why we are here. I have struggled with math ever since I can remember learning about it. My wonderful parents tried EVERYTHING to help me: sitting down with me, sending me to special math tutoring classes, etc. I always felt that I had to work 10 times more to understand a concept that most in my classes. Which is fine, I just have always been aware of that struggle for me. I made it through math, but I never really felt like I understood it. I have found over recent years, as I have better learned how to understand and recognize the Spirit, how it can help me in ways I never thought possible. This is just an example of how I am able to witness this.
I was reading a talk by President Faust from April 2004 General Conference titled "Did you get the right message?' He talks about the age that we live in and how we are bombarded with different messages and the importance of hearing the 'right one' of the Spirit in all the noise. He shared an experience he had as a young boy in school that made me think of my current experiences with math. He said, "I learned at a young age that inspiration can come to any of us. When I was in junior high school I was taking a difficult class where most of what was being taught went over my head. One day the teacher asked me a question. I didn't understand the question, let alone the answer. Out of nowhere a response came into my mind, which I repeated to the teacher. It was the right answer, but I knew it had not come from me." I have had to work hard in studying that the answers don't just come to me, but I better understand concepts and I know that through the workings of the Spirit I am able to understand concepts I never would on my own, just as President Faust recognizes.


So, let this simple quiz stand as a testimony on its own of what the Lord can do with us and the power of the Holy Ghost that can help us understand all of God's mysteries-even math. :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Emily N. said...

Way to go, Lynette! I have so much admiration for you to keep furthering and pushing yourself in new ways. It can seem so hard sometimes and we wonder why we are putting ourselves through it, but obviously we are not doing it alone and it will be for our good. :)

Saturday, June 21, 2008 9:54:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home