Sunday, June 15, 2008

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!!

I desire to wish my father and all of you who are fathers here in mortality a happy father's day today. I hope we do not wait until these days set aside for our fathers to let them know how much we love them and appreciate them, but at least one day out of the year we dedicate to them-that they may know. This is in celebration of such a sacred title.

Elder Jeffrey R Holland speaks of the sacredness of the name 'father', he says "Of all the titles He (God) has chosen for Himself, Father is the one He declares, and creation is His watchword-especially human creation, creation in His image. His glory isn't a mountain, as stunning as mountains are. It isn't in sea or sky or snow or sunrise, as beautiful as they all are. It isn't in art or technology, be that a concerto or computer. No, His glory-and His grief-is in His children. We-you and I are His prized posessions, and we are the earthly evidence, however inadequate, of what He truly is."

What an honor it is to be given such a title. No offense to any of you who read this, but I have the best father EVER for me. :) My father is a man who took his responsibility seriously in raising us in righteousness, for which I am grateful. He in word and deed taught me how to find joy in this life. I can remember a time when I was younger (about 7 or so) we were traveling on vacation as a family and we had stopped for lunch. We had stopped at a fast food restaurant and we were ordering our food at the counter. Right behind were you stood to order was a salad bar and my brother and I were anxious to eat and just picked a crouton from the salad bar and popped it in our mouth without even thinking. My dad immediately pulled us aside and told us that was not right what we did. I don't remember all that he said, but I remember him giving me a dime and coming with me up to the counter and telling the worker there that I took a crouton and that I was sorry and here was some money to pay for it. As embarrassed as I was that day in making such an error-in hindsight, not a day goes by that I don't express gratitude to my Heavenly Father for blessing me with such a father. I am forever endebted to my father for being the man that he is and instilling in me this same level of understanding of honesty and every other principle he has taught me.

Those of you who know my parents know that I have the choicest of all parents! :) No offense to your own and their greatness, I know they are tailor made just for you and your needs. I am forever endebted to my parents and what they have given me: for what they have sacrificed and continue to sacrifice on my behalf, for raising me with a knowledge of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ in my life-the greatest gift of all.

2 Comments:

Blogger jess said...

I love the quote from Elder Holland! And I agree, you do have great parents :)

Sunday, June 15, 2008 7:04:00 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Your parents are for sure some of my favorite people. It was so fun to see you! Thanks for letting us read your blog. I think it accomplishes exactly what you set out to do.

Monday, June 16, 2008 10:48:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home