Saturday, April 12, 2008

Take Heed

I can't believe it has been since Monday that I have written, this week has been a blur or business-GOOD things-but busy. :) The Lord has blessed me tremendously this week and I am sorry I didn't take the time to write it all down here. I have been reading in the Book of Mormon lately, starting in the book of Enos-continuing on with Jarom, Omni, and Mormon. In my study of it, I have been saddened that they did not write more-taken the time to chisel out more of their doings. I better understand why they might not have written more than they did (a few short pages each). I don't want my words here OR in my journal to be so brief and empty of all that happened in my life-what I learned from life's experiences.

I just began today to dive into the Priesthood Session of General Conference, I have been waiting all week for the transcripts to be available to read, along with the other words given from all of the sessions of Conference. I was very impressed with Elder Quentin L Cook of the Quorum of the Twelve about heeding the words of the Prophet. He said, "Prophets are inspired to provide us with prophetic priorities to protect us from danger." Elder Cook gave a few examples of this, including one of President David O McKay, former President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Elder Cook said of him

"President David O. McKay was the prophet from 1951 to 1970. One area of
significant focus was his emphasis on the family. He taught that no success in
life can compensate for failure in the home.
He encouraged members to strengthen families by increasing religious observance.
His teachings were a protection from the disintegration of the institution of
marriage that came after his death.
Because of President McKay’s teaching, the Latter-day Saints strengthened their
commitment to family and eternal marriage."

I thought of the Proclamation to the World' that was published in September 1995 on the family-the most sacred institution that has been under attack, and continues to be under attack by the world's standards. Those who studied it and hold fast to it's teachings are strengthened and continue to hold sacred their responsibilites as mother or father in rearing children in righteousness-and by so doing, are protected from the wiles of the adversary. If you 'heed' the counsel of our current Prophet, President Thomas S Monson, counsel that comes directly from our Heavenly Father, pay careful attention to what he says and what you feel-you will know what you need to do to live in the world and not of it. You will know what you need to do to stand steadfast and unmoveable. You will know what you need to do to find peace in a world full of chaos and turmoil. What greater blessing is there??

(below is the link for the sustaining of our church leaders and our newest prophet, 16th President of the Church, President Thomas S. Monson.)

http://broadcast.lds.org/genconf/2008/04/10/GC_2008_04_11_UchtdorfDF__09487_eng_1M.wmv

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home