Tuesday, April 1, 2008

"This isn't a math class, it's a lesson on humility"

Have you ever had one of those moments where you KNOW that the only reason something happened was because of divine intervention? Today I had one of those experiences in Math class. Our professor, prior to spring break, had informed us (FORwarned us :) ) that upon our return we would be having a quiz. This quiz would consist of him giving each of us a specific problem to solve, having a few minutes to look over our notes and discuss it with our partners if we needed the help, then go up in front of the class and present our problem with its solution. I had been feeling a hint of anxiety over it during the break and especially today-it's amazing how many ways you can think to get out of something that you don't want to do. (if you need any help thinking of one, let me know. I think I went through every possible scenario today. :))

Satan was very aware of what this experience would mean to me and for me in my growth. For me, it was one of those experiences: where you have climbed this GREAT mountain and are now at the pinnacle looking out, you are on the brink of something PHENOMINAL-yet something keeps you from taking that next step on your path: fear, pride, whatever it may be. You experience spiritual paralysis, where if you only took that one step in the right direction-I felt like that today with this math quiz. I have a very strong conviction that every experience we have here in mortality, however it is disguised with work, school-whatever-it is all part of our mortal tutorial. Heavenly Father wants to see how we choose, what we choose. I feel like this semester in general is a very 'character building' experience and is causing me to stretch to greater heights, IF I take those opportunities which Heavenly Father blesses me with.
So, I stop the flood of thoughts of how I can escape from math class and go. I had been praying for the past few days that I would be at peace and learn what I needed to learn from this experience. I also prayed for the Spirit to be with me to help me to recall to my mind the information I had studied. Our teacher passed out our questions and immediately upon seeing the question, there came to my mind the notes I had taken (that we were allowed to refer to) from this particular lesson and so I flipped right to them and figured out what I needed to write down. The minute I looked at the problem, I also had the feeling in my heart that this was a direct answer to my prayers-and how the Spirit helped recall the information necessary...I sat there amazed. Amazed at HOW Heavenly Father watches over us in EVERY detail-with so much going on in the world, He takes the time for us individually to let us know He is there and is watching out for us.
I was joking with my group that this wasn't a math class, it was a less on humility. We laughed about it as we prepared our presentations, but I had a reassurance through the Holy Ghost that it was true.

Elder Neal A. Maxwell taught: “We soon discover in the quietude of our
ponderings and our thinkings upon the Lord that he is a tutorial and activist
God. He is not a passive being somewhere in space. He is active in the tutoring
of each of us…. Let us not misread God’s tutoring love. He would not be a loving
Father if He ignored our imperfections. We must not forget that. He would not be
a true Father if he were content with you and me just as we
now are.” (“If Thou Endure Well,” 9, 6, emphasis added.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home