Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Flubs and return of the lost binder


STAR*, AT @, POUND#, CARET ^, FLUB*~,...CLUB FLUB **~...
You wouldn't know I just counted to five...I mean flub...just now, would you? I just got out of math class where we have been counting using this new base 5 number system my professor introduced to us last week: those words and symbols are the beginning of the number system. It is actually a number system that already exists called x-mania. Our professor introduced it to us in hopes that we would better understand what our students might be feeling learning a completely new number system. It has been interesting and humbling to be put in that position and I definitely have a different perspective on what my students are going through and will be going through as they learn, in essence, another language of mathematics. I better understand why Heavenly Father gives us certain experiences that humble us and help us understand what someone else might have to go through: what they are experiencing-that we might have empathy and ultimately be more like our Heavenly Father. I am so grateful for experiences like these that deepen my understanding of truth. I truly stand all amazed when I think how well Heavenly Father knows us and knows what daily tutorials we need. I know I have said that ALOT, but I just am amazed EVERY TIME I am blessed to be able to witness it, through the power of the Spirit, how well he does know us and knows EXACTLY what we need to learn the lessons we need.




So, I posted the other day about something of great value (not of monetary value, but alot of paperwork that we turn at the end of the month) that had disappeared and we couldn't figure out what happened to it. Well, this morning it was back in the same spot it was taken from. Sarah (my assistant teacher) and I couldn't figure out how it got back. Sarah was a little upset because she had just spent a good part of her day yesterday making up a new binder and trying to piece together everything that was missing from the first part of the month. She thought someone had played a joke on us and was saying 'that was not very funny' over and over as she went about doing her daily morning duties. I told her we can't dwell on those things and let them eat at us. We ended up finding out later in the day how it had ended up back in our possession and it happened to be that another teacher there had picked it up accidentally with their things and when they realized what it was, they brought it back down to the secretary who returned it to our possession.


Again, so many lessons to be learned from all of this. All works out as it should in the end. I think of the end of Alma, after all these wars had transpired and the state of those who survived the events. Alma 62:41 "...because of the exceedingly great length of the war between the Nephites and the Lamanites many had become hardened, because of the exceedingly great length of the war; and many were softened because of their afflictions, insomuch that they did humble themselves before God, even in the depth of humility." Again, it is just a binder with some paper that was taken: really not THAT important in the eternal scheme of things. What IS important is how we deal with the situation. We have two choices ALWAYS. It is up to us what we do with what we have.

1 Comments:

Blogger LStevens said...

Lynette,
Thanks so much for your inspiring words. I am glad your binder was returned.
Did you get my messages yesterday, about the flights over Spring break?
Just wanted to know if you had made a decision as to where you will be. I couldn't remember the exact dates of your break. Let me know.
Love you,
Lisa
PS Jeff said it would be great to have you here!! :-)

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 10:37:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home