Thursday, March 20, 2008

Freedom

Today has been a busy day, the highlight being able to attend the naturalization ceremony of a friend and co-worker. I was honored to be there for my friend and to be able to witness firsthand the ceremony itself as I have never witnessed one before today. We started off in the wrong location and headed out in mad dash to the right courthouse, with my friend a nervous wreck that she would miss it. We had a half hour to get ourselves over the correct location before it started. I realized I don't think I have ever been in a courtroom while it has been in session. The court clerk presented the judge before he entered and the petition was presented to him by the homeland security/immigration division on behalf of the 14 individuals that were present. There were 8 countries represented today by the newest citizens of our country. I will never forget it as we applauded for Teresa as she received her certificate and as all stood for the pledge of allegiance. My love of country was strengthened. I know our country has it's flaws, but it is the land promised us and all the freedoms it affords us: Freedom to believe whatever we desire. Through these freedoms, we can have the fullness of the gospel restored to the earth and rejoice fully in all the blessings our Heavenly Father desires for us. And now, a few more of his children can officially and hopefully more fully partake of these blessings. I'm grateful I was able to witness that today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home