Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Desensitized

What am I still doing up, you might ask? :) I SHOULD have been in bed hours
ago, but I am just getting to my room-let alone my bed. I wanted to write
a few thoughts I had today: I may only get to one before my eyes close on
me, so here it goes. So, I was sitting in my sociology class today and my
professor was doing his usual power point slide presentation and I was
writing down notes of things he was saying concerning the information shown.
One of these times I was writing down something, I heard my professor say
"Now, this next slide shows full frontal nudity." I continued to write as he
said that and kept my eyes focused on my notes. He said he had received
evaluations from students in the past that commented that he didn't ever
warn students when he was going to show images that were offensive. He
proceeded to say that "If you are offended by this, you need to get out
more." I thought, he just summarized a huge problem in our society today:
becoming desensitized. We are so bombarded with images and music that are
FULL of offensive information that it doesn't even effect us one bit! It
reminds me of an analogy I read again recently quoted by President Faust
shared in April General Conference of 1989:

“Thomas R. Rowan … said: ‘Author and commentator Malcolm Muggeridge once told
a story about some frogs who were killed without resistance by being boiled
alive in [a] cauldron of water. Why didn’t they resist? Because when they
were put in the cauldron, the water was tepid. Then the temperature was
raised ever so slightly, … then a bit warmer still, and on and on and on.
The change was so gradual, almost imperceptible, that the frogs accommodated
themselves to their new environment—until it was too late. The point that
Mr. Muggeridge was making was not about frogs but about us and how we tend
to accept evil as long as it is not a shock that is thrust on us abruptly.
We are inclined to accept something morally wrong if it is only a shade more
wrong than something we are already accepting’ ” (National Press Club
Forum).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home