Sunday, March 16, 2008

The work of the world isn't done by geniuses...

I heard a very moving speech from President Hinckley today from a friend that I had never heard before. It was a speech he gave in October 2002 at the dedication of the Hinckley Building at the BYU-Idaho campus. On hearing this speech, I was reminded how much I love President Hinckley and how much I take his counsel as a grandfather giving advice, as a Prophet of God giving me direction from my Heavenly Father-and savor it. That is how I felt this evening, hearing the words President Hinckley. I will put a quote or two from this talk in here and hopefully the link to hear the audio of it as well.

"I wish for you nothing but the best. You are so choice and so wonderful
and the future is so great that you can't afford to betray yourselves in
anyway or to do anything less than that which each of you is capable of
accomplishing. You don't have to be a genius. You don't have to be a straight-A
student. You just have to do your very best with all the capability you
have
. You have to do your very best. And somehow, if you do that, God will open the way before you and the sun
will shine, and your lives will be fruitful and you will accomplish great good
in the world in which you take a part
. I couldn't wish for you anything
better as I look into your faces this day...There is no end in sight for the
good you can do. Do you know it? You are just simple kids. You are not geniuses.
I know that. But the work of the world isn't done by geniuses. It is done by
ordinary people who have learned to work in an extraordinary way people of your
kind who can do these things." -President Gordon B Hinckley

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home