Thursday, May 1, 2008

a day late

So, maybe I fell asleep last night typing on my laptop. I guess that's what I get for trying to type laying down in my bed. :) So, I lost the entry I had started. Yesterday was a busy day: I was at work from 7:30 am -7:30 pm. I taught my regular class during the morning then we finished the preparations for our art show that evening. We finished hanging the art and getting everything ready. The art show to the public started at 4 and the gathering with the family was from 5:30-7 pm which included the art show, dinner and a craft with the children. We had a great turnout of people-lots of families came that we haven't seen for awhile at an event. It was great-a long day, but great.
Afterwards I headed home and my roomate and I stopped by a birthday party for a friend of ours at our church. We met at a local burger joint called 'Big Juds'. This particular place is famous for their 1 lb burgers served with real idaho potatoes in the form of french fries or tater tots that, if you can eat it within the alotted time, you are made an official member of the big jud's club. This hamburger is INSANELY large!! The bun looks like the size of a small birthday cake, sliced in two. About 5 of the 15 people there took part in the challenge, including the birthday boy. It was crazy to watch. Here is a picture of some people (not sure who they are, found it online) taking the challenge as well.

Can you see the cake size burger? Since last night, I have been contemplating what the fascination is with contests of gorging ourselves to the point of illness-why do we do it? I have yet to figure it out, I don't know if I really want to either. Better left a mystery. :)

As we were there in the restaurant, I met a man that was there having a late supper. (He told me) We were a pretty rambunctious group, so I wondered how he was feeling about us taking over the restaurant. It is a pretty cozy environment. I got up to walk around and see how everyone was faring with the challenge. I passed by his table and just said hi and that I hoped we weren't spoiling his dinner. He then invited me to sit down, so I did and we chatted for a bit. He asked how we all know each other and I told him we all attended the same church and he was happy to hear it. He was an older gentleman, retired officer from the navy. He was very kind. He asked what church we were a part of and I told him the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He said 'oh! The Mormons! yes, I am familiar with your church. He said he has known many people from our church. He asked if we believed in the multiple partners thing, referring all that is going on with the FLDS in Texas. He thought that we were one in the same in beliefs. I assured him that we were in no way affiliated with them and that we don't share that belief. It was nice to be able to clear up that confusion that are shared by many concerning the church as all this is going on with the media coverage in Texas. We had a really nice discussion that was ended as we were leaving. I felt that we had planted a seed of understanding, of correcting error, which is what it is all about. It is what Elder Ballard had hoped would become as well of being a part of this 'new media' that we share through blogs and other forms of communication on the world wide web. I am honored to be a part of it.

1 Comments:

Blogger macdaddy said...

Way to go, Lynette. You have such an easy way with people. Your gift has and will continue to serve you well.

Thanks for telling about your conversation with that gentleman. You're a great example to all of us.

Friday, May 02, 2008 10:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home