Saturday, April 26, 2008

Never TOO late

I was listening to talks from this last conference as part of my spiritual preparation for today and I listened again to Elder Rasband, Sister Lant, Elder Johnson and Elder Joseph B Wirthlin's words. I am so grateful for modern technology, that I can sit here in my home and review the words of these men and women called of God-that I might better understand my purpose here and draw closer to my Heavenly Father. I am so grateful to have ALL of the gospel of Jesus Christ, restored to it's fullest. These truths bring me such comfort and peace. Some words of Elder Wirthlin touched me and helped me remember how good my Father in Heaven has been to me; how merciful He is. I have grown up in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints-my parents raised me with the truths of the Gospel as guidelines in my life, in making decisions. I experienced what I feel everyone does at some point in their life, whenever they find the gospel: they have to ifnd out for themselves. It may be that they grew up, saturated in gospel truths; or they found the gospel later in life through trusted friends or family. Whatever the case may be-we come to know that these things are true for ourselves. We have to in order to continue to grow in understanding. I feel as though, even though I grew up with these truths, that I was slow to take heed to them and let them become an integral part of my life. Elder Wirthlin said something that brings me great comfort.

“Remember, sometimes those who start out the slowest end up going the farthest.” Elder Joseph B Wirthlin, General Conference, April 2008, Saturday Morning Session

Hearing this reminded me of an account I heard years ago when I was struggling with feelings of regret in the tardiness of my true devotion to God. I heard an account of Joseph F Smith's, from when he was serving a mission in Hawaii.

He recorded: "I was very much oppressed [when I was] on a mission. I was almost naked and entirely friendless, except [for] the friendship of a poor, benighted … people. I felt as if I was so debased in my condition of poverty, lack of intelligence and knowledge, just a boy, that I hardly dared look a … man in the face. “While in that condition I dreamed [one night] that I was on a journey, and I was impressed that I ought to hurry—hurry with all my might, for fear I might be too late. I rushed on my way as fast as I possibly could, and I was only conscious of having just a little bundle, a handkerchief with a small bundle wrapped in it. I did not realize … what it was, when I was hurrying as fast as I could; but finally I came to a wonderful mansion. … I thought I knew that was my destination. As I passed towards it, as fast as I could, I saw a notice [which read B-A-T-H], ‘Bath.’ I turned aside quickly and went into the bath and washed myself clean. I opened up this little bundle that I had, and there was [some] white, clean [clothing], a thing I had not seen for a long time, because the people I was with did not think very much of making things exceedingly clean. But my [clothing was] clean, and I put [it] on. Then I rushed to what appeared to be a great opening, or door. I knocked and the door opened, and the man who stood there was the Prophet Joseph Smith. He looked at me a little reprovingly, and the first words he said: ‘Joseph, you are late.’ Yet I took confidence and [replied]: “ ‘Yes, but I am clean—I am clean!’ " I cannot express in words the peace and comfort these words bring me, can bring to those who feel they struggle to stay on the path. It is NEVER too late.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home