Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Problem solving

Well, today has been a day of returning to the daily grind after a time on break. First day back to work after a holiday yesterday and first day back to school in a month! Everything went smoothly by divine intervention, of course. I was reminded that God is at the helm, even the smallest in simplest of tasks. Part of my job requirement with teaching is to observe and take notes on two children daily in the different areas of development (social/emotional, cognitive, physical, language) according to the their goals (which have been co-written with myself and the parents from parent conferences). Needless to say it can get a bit challenging in trying to teach AND take great anectodals in the process. Challenging...but not impossible!!! I say this with all sincerity that with God, ALL things are possible. (even anectodals) I had reviewed my notes on each child recently and realized I hadn't had many on a particular child (who shall remain nameless for privacy) so I had that in mind going throughout the day, in addition to the others that needed observing. We had gone to gym to play and this little boy that I needed the notes on came up to me and told me exactly what he had just done. Now, this may not seem like a big deal to most-but to me it was. I knew God had prepared the way for me to be able to accomplish what I needed to that day. The promises given us in the scriptures are true, even when applied in the most simpliest of forms such as this. I know every success I have experienced, the class group I have this year, my assistant teacher-everything-is a manifestation to me that God is mindful of me in EVERY detail. (Even down to where you can find a parking spot.)

I attended my first classes this evening and I am excited for the growth and understanding that will come. I have a sociology class and a math for teachers course this semester. I feel very fortunate to be in school and in these classes this semester, especially the math one. There are only 3 sections of this class open and there were at least 5 people there tonight that wanted to add the class, but were turned away. I left my math class feeling a bit frustrated, but excited. I know if I stick with it and do my part, I will be alright. I was reminded tonight in our lecture that truth is truth no matter where you find it and that the Spirit can tell you the truth of ALL things (2 Nephi 32:5). There was a quote from a man by the name of George Polya about problem solving. I think it can apply to any problem, not restricted to the language of math. I will leave you with his words to think about.

"Your problem may be modest; but if it
challenges your curiosity,
brings into play your inventive faculties, and
if you solve it by your own means,
you may experience the tension and
enjoy the triumph of discovery."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home