Thursday, January 10, 2008

Decisions and Agency

Do you ever think about the impact of decisions you make? How much it can affect the rest of your life? I think of a story I heard President Gordon B. Hinckley share one time about the hinges of a gate.

"Have you ever looked at a farm gate that opens and closes? If you look at the hinge, it moves ever so little. Just a little movement of that hinge creates tremendous consequences out of the perimeter. That is the way it is with our lives. It is the little decisions that make the great differences in our lives." Gordon B. Hinckley

I have made some seemingly small decisions lately that I have felt guided to do, yet I find myself doubting that they were the right things to do. I am learning that I need to go with those feelings and own them. If I make a mistake in my decision making, sobeit. I have always been so scared to make decisions, that I experience paralysis and end up doing nothing. That is no way to live. God gives us our agency and at baptism, the gift of the Holy Ghost which we have to make decisions and to know if they are in alignment with His will or not. The decisions I have made are not the important part of this. The important part of this life lesson is that it helps me to draw that much closer to my Heavenly Father and that I am able to better understand what it feels like when the Spirit whispers to me God's will. That is the thing with the daily tutorials of life: they have a far deeper meaning and understanding that what lies on the surface and they are given by a loving Heavenly Father who knows exactly what we need to grow. For that I am grateful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home