Saturday, December 29, 2007

Friday December 28

I wasn't able to get to the computer yesterday before my nieces and nephews went to bed. We arrived home late from a Christmas Party with my dad's side of the family. It was nice to see them, although I find myself nervous this Christmas time being with family-maybe because my life isn't exactly where I thought it would be 6 mnths ago. Things have changed quite drastically. Well, here is a thought for yesterday that I love. It is from a CES Fireside that Elder Oaks gave in November with his wife Kristin. She shared this quote from Elder Holland concerning missionaries and some of the frustrations they are facing. Very powerful words. I will write more again tonight.

Elder Jeffrey R. Holland...spoke about the price we must pay to return to Heavenly Father. His advice applies to anyone who is struggling to know and serve God. Many of the missionaries he addressed were frustrated, seeing little success, and wondering if their missions were of worth. They asked, “Why is this so hard? Why doesn’t it go better? Why can’t our success be more rapid? Why aren’t there more people joining the Church? It is the truth. . . . We trust in miracles. Why don’t people just flock to the [Church]? . . . Why isn’t it easier?”
Elder Holland replied: “I have thought about this a great deal. I offer this as my personal feeling. It is not Church doctrine. . . . I am convinced that missionary work is not easy because salvation is not a cheap experience.” (And I would add that a university experience or this life experience is not easy because it is not a cheap experience.) “Salvation never was easy. We are the Church of Jesus Christ, this is the truth, He is our Great Eternal Head. Why would we believe . . . that it would be easy for us when it was never, ever easy for Him? . . . How could we possibly bear any moving, lasting testimony of the Atonement if we have never known or felt anything of such an experience? As [members and] missionaries we are proud to say we are disciples of Christ—and we are. But mark my word. That means [we] must be prepared to walk something of the path He walked, to feel something of the pain He felt, to at least occasionally . . . shed one of the tears of sorrow that He shed” (The Atonement [address at seminar for new mission presidents, June 26, 2007], 8).

(Sister Oaks words) "Salvation is not a cheap experience, and we should remember that. Never let any trials stand between you and your allegiance to your Heavenly Father. Never let any insult or challenge separate you from partaking of the sacrament and lead you to spiritual weakness and possibly to a spiritual death. Hold fast, and remember what you know to be true. "

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home