Wednesday, September 24, 2008

broken arms, giraffes and kindred :)

I just got back from teaching Spanish this morning and have a little break before I head to work on campus and class. I have the cutest group of kids on Mon/Wed! They are so excited about learning and participating-that makes a huge difference in what they learn. We are learning about colors and their names this week and we played color bingo today-Madeline's choice since she was the first to arrive to class. The kids did really great and even my newest student, Connor, was so excited to be there! For bingo, he would yell out the shape and color with such excitement! Wow! TRIANGULO ROJO!!! It was so cute. He and one of my other students both have a broken arm-2 kids in the same class. The other little girl who has a broken arm has come up to me the last two classes and asked me how to say something in spanish. Last time it was 'broken arm' and today it was 'giraffe'.(she had a small stuffed giraffe with her in class) She enthusiastically repeats what I teach her and says 'ADIOS!' to me as she heads out the door to the playground. I am so grateful for this opportunity to do this-to be able to have this experience. I know that it is a tender mercy of the Lord that I am able to be a part of this program right now.

I was reading in the scriptures, in the Book of Mormon today. I was reading in 3 Nephi 7 about this particular group who were once righteous and had become a very wicked people. They were now dividing themselves into 'tribes' against each other according to each leader's 'families and his kindred and friends' (v.2). I was reminded in reading this chapter how Satan can pervert everything for ill-down to the sacred unit of the family. Those bonds that can be a source of strength for good to buoy us up can be twisted and used for evil as we see here. 'the people were divided one against another...they did seperate one from another...every man according to his family and his kindred and friends'...'..the regulations of the government were destroyed, because of the secret combination of the friends and kindreds of those who murdered the prophets.' We see the word 'destroyed' used in the same sentence with words so beautiful as 'friends and kindred'. There is great power in who you have around you to support you and with whom you choose to spend your time. I am so grateful for the family that Heavenly Father has blessed me to be born into who help build, not destroy. Who support, not abandon. Also for amazing friends who I am privileged to know. It makes a world of differnce.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home