Monday, September 8, 2008

Night of darkness (Alma 34:33) and today is the day

Today was a great day, although the title would have you believe otherwise. :) I worked this morning at the bookstore on campus. It was the last day for a full refund on textbooks and needless the say the lines were LONG.

Which was fine-I love to work with people and I don't take it personally when they are upset. I just experienced what I feel is the closest I EVER want to experience of what the scriptures speak of procrastination and when there is nothing that can be done-times up. I have done it numberous times in my life and know what it feels like-but being on the other end was interesting. Anyone who knows me, knows I don't say it in a judgemental way-I am just as imperfect and human. It was just sad to witness as people at the point of frustration and I was bound by certain store policies and could do nothing to help them in their predicament. A few people yelled and swore-stress levels were high. I felt bad for them, but there was only so much I could do.

I don't know what it will really be like when that 'night of darkness' comes-I don't want to know first hand what that will feel like to wait until the bitter end to resolve things in my life or take care of past wrongs-I don't want to be on my death bed, pleading for forgiveness of others or from God. I want to be at peace each day of my life-I strive for that in my imperfectness. There is a great quote that is from President Howard W. Hunter, former Prophet-at the moment I can't find it-I will have to continue to look for it. It talked about the urgency of today to take care of things-to forgive someone, forgive a debt, etc....Here is a great one by Elder Wirthlin who is one of the 12 Apostles reminding us about the urgency of today.

"Tomorrow's joy or tomorrow's despair has its roots in decisions we make today. Perhaps some people think to themselves: 'I know I need to change some things in my life. Maybe later, but not now.' Those who stand at the threshold of life always waiting for the right time to change are like the man who stands at the bank of a river waiting for the water to pass so he can cross on dry land. Today is the day of decision."
--Joseph B. Wirthlin, "Three Choices," Ensign, Nov. 2003, 78


Today is the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home