Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The temple

We just arrived home a bit ago from the temple open house in Twin Falls, ID.
It is to be dedicated on August 24th of this year.

I am so glad we went-it was a sweet experience. I am grateful we were able to go. My roommates and I had planned to attend back in July and set the date for today. We arrived there and were given instructions to go into the chapel right next to the temple. We waited a few minutes and were ushered into another room to watch a video presentation on temples and on this temple in particular. Ever since we entered the chapel, I had noticed this man who was sitting by himself. I kept feeling that I should go and talk to him and sit by him. Finally after the video I got a chance to talk to him. His name is Mark. I know this entry will do nothing to explain how I felt in talking to him and what understanding I received from the experience-but I want to log it all down while it is fresh in my memory in hopes to always remember it. It was one of those experiences where you meet someone who you will probably never see again, but you will never be the same (for the better) from the experience.

After we left the stake center, we walked onto the temple grounds to enter the temple. We stopped a few times before we entered with our tour guide as she told us about the angel Moroni on top of the temple, and to tell us about the inscription on the front of the temple: Holiness to the Lord." That is when I spoke to Mark and told him if he wanted to go through with us, he could. He gave me a big smile. I toured the temple with him, as I felt to stay by his side. One of my roommates had met up with an old friend and my other roommate was with her boyfriend, so it worked out perfectly that I stayed with him.

We walked through the temple and stopped in several different rooms: the baptistry, a couple sealing rooms, an endowment room, and the celestial room. I felt the spirit so strong throughout our tiime there and was reminded of how blessed we are to have these places that we might come closer to our Heavenly Father and find refuge for a time from life. My favorite time was in the celestial room as we stood and soaked in the feeling and the sun's warm rays beaming through the west windows. The rays hit the chandelier and lit up the entire room. It was breathtaking. One of our tour guides who took us into one of the sealing rooms shared with us her belief in eternal families as she was sealed in the temple to her husband who had passed away and their eight children. She testified that she new she would see him again and be with her family forever.

There was a painting on the walls of one of the endowment room of the Shoshone Falls right there in Twin and other scenery. It was beautiful-I felt I could see for miles into the picture. I know that all who were present felt of that same spirit-I hope they remember it always as well. That takes me back to my new friend, Mark. I learned that he had just been baptized last saturday. I also learned it was because he had come to tour the temple that he decided to be baptized. He came to tour the temple to get two of his co-workers off his back, he said, about attending the open house. He felt such peace that he has come back every day since. He told me how sad he was that the 16th (this saturday) would be the last time he could come in for awhile. I wish you could have seen his face as he shared that with me-I could sense his heartache that he would have to wait a season before he could come back. He knew he would have to wait a year. What would it be like if everyone treasured the temple like that? A pang of guilt washed over me as I thought of my own lack of appreciation for the Lord's house. With that I also felt a renewed sense of commitment and determination to appreciate being so close and having the ability to attend the temple as often as I would like. I was reminded that the Spirit can teach you the truthfulness of ALL things. (2 Nephi 32:5)

After the tour, there was a room in the stake center that had displays and missionaries were there to answer any questions anyone had concerning there experience. There were some refreshments, of course. :) I teased Mark that I now knew the real reason he came was for the cookies. He agreed and just smiled and laughed.

I am grateful my Heavenly Father allowed me to meet him and learn what I did from him. I made sure to tell him that before we parted ways. He is a very timid man and you could tell he wasn't used to such words as it left him without words. He figited with his napkin and would barely look at me while I spoke and thanked him.
I am so grateful for modern conveniences that afforded us the opportunity to drive the distance in the time we had to have this experience.

3 Comments:

Blogger LStevens said...

Lynette,
Wow. What an awesome experience. I had wanted to go through there on our way home from Utah with Kaari & Kory, and then I completely forgot. When I remembered I think we were somewhere just past Boise or somewhere. I was upset, because I thought of how neat it would have been to take my girls and family through the temple. I am glad for your thoughts and feelings, thanks for sharing. Love you forever,
Lisa

Thursday, August 14, 2008 5:00:00 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

Wynetta, You are so good to follow the spirit. Thanks for reminding me to be watchful and listen. I'm suprised they talked during the open house. Everyone I've gone to you just walked through and no one spoke.
Thanks for sharing!!
Love you forever, MOM

Friday, August 15, 2008 9:13:00 AM  
Blogger Emily N. said...

That is a lovely story. Thanks for sharing and for listening so well so that you could have such an experience. You are an inspiration! :)

Friday, August 15, 2008 7:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home