Sunday, July 27, 2008

You never know...

I just received an interesting e-mail from our Stake Relief Society President who visited our block of meetings today. She recounted in the e-mail that after the block of meetings a young man from our ward had come up to her and thanked her for always dressing modestly. This is what she wrote in her e-mail: I just wanted to let you know that today a boy in 9th ward came up to me after the block and said, "I just wanted you to know how much I appreciate the fact that you dress modestly every single time you visit our ward....and so does the girl that was sitting in front of you in the white dress (I don't know her name) ."

I share this not to boast of myself (anyone who knows me-knows that), rather I share this with you as an example that you never know what example you are giving, whether you realize it or not.
President Spencer W. Kimball said:

“Another of the many things that lead to unchastity is immodesty. Today many young women and young men are smug in their knowledge of the facts of life. They think they know all the answers. They talk about sex as freely as they talk about cars and shows and clothes. And a spirit of immodesty has developed until nothing seems to be sacred.

“One contributing factor to immodesty and a breakdown of moral values is the modern dress. I am sure that the immodest clothes that are worn by some of our young women, and their mothers, contribute directly and indirectly to the immorality of this age. Even fathers sometimes encourage it. I wonder if our young sisters realize the temptation they are flaunting before young men when they leave their bodies partly uncovered. …

“I am positive that the clothes we wear can be a tremendous factor in the gradual breakdown of our love of virtue, our steadfastness in chastity” (Faith Precedes the Miracle [1972], 163, 168).

This whole interaction has made me want to be a better person, for which I am grateful. I feel a stronger desire to stand for what is right and find different ways to stand for modesty and help the brethren.

Something to think about....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home