Friday, July 11, 2008

Small and Simple 2

I went on a little bike ride today. I took a route I haven't taken in awhile: it is one that is a steady incline all the way out and a ride back down on the way back. I stopped at about 5 miles out from home, and, feeling good about hitting my goal, I turned around to head back home. As I turned around to what I thought would be a smooth coast down for awhile-I was slapped in the face by a fierce headwind. I suddenly became aware of how I had been blessed with help in carrying out the first part of my journey. I thought I had climbed up that far just on my own merit-but in that moment I turned, I realized I didn't do it on my own. Now this part of the ride that I normally coast was not a challenge I wasn't prepared for. The wind was so strong that I nearly came to a complete stop as I attempted to coast down.

I was thinking about this experience as I was riding back home and I came to an understanding of what this journey on my bike was symbolic of. The entire journey was representational of my journey here in mortality with it's different challenges. The point when I turned to head back home is likened to my move here to Boise. It was a challenge I wasn't expecting in my journeyings and when I thought the road would be a comfort ride (coast) for a season, it has been one of the most challenging times in my life: it has been character building. I have become aware of how the Lord has helped me and 'carried me' up to that point in my journey, just as I was helped with a tailwind on the first portion of my bike ride. The most important aspect of my bike ride today: I made it home safely, just as I know I will make it through this challenging time with it's headwinds. All the opposition will only make me stronger. :)

I don't love the pain of affliction, but I do love the growth that occurs and the knowledge that Heavenly Father is mindful of me and has tailor-made this journey just for me. Some of you may feel I think to much about things :), which is probably true. I just feel that it is by these small and seemingly simple ways that the Lord tries to teach us the lessons we need and if we are not careful, we might miss them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home