Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Paying the price

Wow-it has been far too long since my last post. So much has been going on, I don't know where to begin nor do I feel it is necessary to go into great detail of all the events of my life since I last posted. :) It hasn't been anything out of the ordinary, per se, just 'life' at its finest.

I will just post for today instead of feeling overwhelmed at trying to play catch-up. I spoke with my parents today. My mom recently had surgery and has been home, so I have been able to talk to her almost every day this week! It has been great!

Tonight I was able to talk with my father, who I also love to talk with. He and I have a connection that I can't explain on spiritual matters. We are cut from the same cloth, I feel. :) Anyway, we were talking about his lesson he was preparing for this Sunday and he shared a qoute with me from Elder Bruce R McConkie: "Now let us come to ...a conclusion that will have an important bearing on our eternal salvation. It is that each person must learn the doctines of the gospel for himself. No one else can do it for him. Each person stands alone where gospel shcolarship is concerned; each has access to the same scriptures and is entitled to the guidance of the same Holy spirit; each must pay the price set by a Divine Providence if he is to gain the pearl of great price....And as a just God offers the same salvation to every soul who lives the same laws, so he offers the same understanding of his eternal truths to all who will pay the truth seeker's price." (Teaching, No greater Call, p. 61) What is that 'price' Elder McConkie speaks of? that each 'truth seeker' must pay? Something I want to ponder more on personally.

I have been thinking about a different 'price' we are asked to pay as followers of Jesus Christ lately: the stands we must make at different times in our lives. Especially with the elections that have just past, with a such a focus on Proposition 8. I don't live in California, but I fully supported the pursuit of making sure the divine instution of marriage is preserved the way God intended it to be. The margin was minimal and frightening between those who were for it and those against. It has been interesting to hear different peoples responses to the topic in class and work settings. What price are we willing to pay to show our allegance to our Father in Heaven? Are we willing to take a stand? Especially in times like these? Our God-given gift of agency allows us to choose, our entire society is based on that freedom. How are we exercising that freedom? That is the frightening part to me: what we are choosing as a whole in society. We are the creators of our own destiny, God will allow us to witness the consequences of our actions. I can't help but think of Sodom and Gomorrah and what transpired there. Genesis 19 (http://scriptures.lds.org/en/gen/19/24,28#24)



The wickedness of the people has been compared to what we see in our day by President Gordon B. Hinckley. He said “No one need tell you that we are living in a very difficult season in the history of the world. Standards are dropping everywhere. Nothing seems to be sacred anymore.

“… I do not know that things were worse in the times of Sodom and Gomorrah. … I think our Father must weep as He looks down upon His wayward sons and daughters.”
He continues: "“We must not give up. We must not become discouraged. We must never surrender to the forces of evil. … If it means standing alone, we must do it.
“But we shall not be alone.”

-Gordon B. Hinckley, Standing Strong and Immovable,” Worldwide Leadership Training Meeting, Jan. 10, 2004, 20.

Another quote is from President Boyd K. Packer of the 12 Apostles. He said: "Civilizations, like Sodom and Gomorrah, destroyed themselves by disobedience to the laws of morality. “For the Spirit of the Lord will not always strive with man. And when the Spirit ceaseth to strive with man then cometh speedy destruction.” (2 Ne. 26:11; see also Gen. 6:3; Ether 2:15; D&C 1:33; Moses 8:17.)

God grant that we will come to our senses and protect our moral environment from this mist of darkness which deepens day by day. The fate of all humanity hangs precariously in the balance." -Boyd K. Packer, “Our Moral Environment,” Ensign, May 1992, 66

I don't mean to sound like a dooms-dayer-I just think we need to stop sometimes in this crazy whirlwind of life and THINK. Really try and understand what is going on around us, such as times like this. Realize we have great power in how we choose to live our lives and whom we choose to serve. I pray we can continue to 'protect our moral environment'. It is up to us. It is well worth the price.

4 Comments:

Blogger Emily N. said...

Thanks for your thoughts today, Lynette. I needed them because they give me courage. Hugs to you!

Thursday, November 06, 2008 9:20:00 PM  
Blogger LStevens said...

It was worth the wait!! Thanks for your inspirational thoughts, Nettie!! Love you!!

Saturday, November 08, 2008 5:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lynette, What a woman you are! I love being your mom. It makes my buttons pop! (Maybe the good food I eat helps them pop also!)
Love you forever, Mom

Monday, November 10, 2008 10:34:00 AM  
Blogger Lynette said...

You are KILLING me, LInda! :) ha ha!

Monday, November 10, 2008 11:04:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home