Saturday, November 15, 2008

Not so deep thoughts :)

Since I don't have internet at home anymore, these postings may be a little bit sparatic for a season. (Even more so than before. :) )

I was able to attend the temple in support of my friend Jack who is leaving on a mission this next week. He feels like a brother to me, and just as I would be for my brother, I am so excited for him and the journey he is about to embark on. I say as excited as I would be for my brother even though he has already served a mission-I don't know that I understood what I do now about the importance of serving. There is something about going through the temple with someone who is experiencing it for the first time: your senses are heightened, it seems as if you are listening for them. You pay more attention to what is being said, you pray for that individual and their understanding. The work in the temple brings everything full circle, it puts everything back in perspective as to what really matters. Such peace we can feel there that we can't find anywhere else.

I was talking with another friend today that got me thinking. She shared with me an experience she had a few years back that she didn't fully understand why it turned out as it did. I won't go into detail about her experience as it was shared in confidences, but I will tell you what I realized from her sharing what she did. It started me thinking about why certain things happen in our lives, why we have the different experiences we do: some painful, some joyous. I began to wonder if, in our lives we are to have certain experiences, whatever shape they come in, that we cannot fully understand. You know, experiences that we will never fully come to an understanding of in this life. As she was sharing her experience with me, at different times these thoughts came to me of the necessity that we have experiences that don't make sense. Then I thought of experiences I have had that just don't make any logical sense. I think these are part of our experience here-to build our faith. If we knew why everything happened, it would require no faith on our part in our Heavenly Father and His plan for us. Where would the growth be? If we already knew? I felt a stronger connection with her as we spoke and a deeper realization that God knows us all personally. Our experiences are tailor-made to fit us. Although my friend and I's experiences were diametrically different, the truth remained the same. My heart filled with joy. I am grateful Heavenly Father took the time for me to help me remember that.

1 Comments:

Blogger LStevens said...

How come no internet at home??? What happened? I will miss your inspirational messages. :-(

Sunday, November 16, 2008 9:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home